Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n
Advanced Wi-Fi® technology
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ n is based on the 802.11n standard and ensures a product has passed rigorous testing and can deliver the very best user experience with advanced Wi-Fi technology. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n devices can deliver five times or more speed and up to twice the range of older Wi-Fi standards.
Key benefits of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n technology:
Performance and speed
- Plenty of throughput for content-rich and bandwidth-hungry applications, like music, gaming and video
- Network intelligence to help ensure your multimedia content looks and sounds great
Extended reach throughout the home
- Blanket the whole home in a strong Wi-Fi signal
- Dramatically reduce "dead spots"
Support for many users without sacrificing signal strength
- A "fat pipe" lets everyone connect at the same time and still enjoy applications like digital music, streaming video, and online gaming
Tested. Trusted. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n.
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n products work with older Wi-Fi devices, including 802.11 a/b/g, and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n products have the very latest generation of security protections, WPA2™ (Wi-Fi Protected Access®), so certified products offer the highest level of protection.
|Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n-certified products|
- What is MIMO?
MIMO is an abbreviation for Multiple-Input Multiple-Output, which refers to the ability of equipment to handle multiple data input and multiple data output operation. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n devices make use of multiple antennas to send and receive more than one communication signal simultaneously. This is similar to having two FM radios tuned to the same channel at the same time - the signal becomes louder and clearer. This multiplies the performance of the Wi-Fi signal, and is reflected in the two, three, or even more antennas found on some Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n access points or routers.
- What is WMM?
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED for WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) provides multimedia enhancements for Wi-Fi networks that improve the user experience for audio, video, and voice applications.
- If I have a mixed network of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n and previous-generation Wi-Fi gear, can I still get the performance benefits of 802.11n?
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n gear is backward-compatible with Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 802.11 a/b/g and draft-n gear that operates in the same frequency bands. When using a Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n router or access point, you will probably see some performance improvements on a mixed network, but the dramatic range and throughput improvements are only possible when both the client device (notebook computers, gaming devices, printers, cameras, etc.) and access points are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n .
- I heard Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n products can cause interference problems with other Wi-Fi networks. Is this true?
In some configurations, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n can interfere with other Wi-Fi networks when these products are trying to achieve the best performance using 40 MHz channels in the 2.4 GHz band. However, all products that are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n that can operate in this mode are required to implement a "good neighbor" protocol that helps ensure interference is not a problem.
- What features does Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n offer?
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n supports many of the applications we need today, and is a complement to Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n products interoperate with other types of Wi-Fi in the same frequency band.
- How do I make my wireless network secure?
Wireless security is important, and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED wireless networks should enable WPA2, a sophisticated encryption technology that protects data flowing between Wi-Fi radios and access points.
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED equipment comes with default settings that help establish a network quickly and easily – it is important to enable the built-in security measures as soon as possible to protect the network.
- How does Wi-Fi Alliance help ensure product compatibility and a good user experience for certified products?
Compatibility and quality are achieved through rigorous testing of Wi-Fi products. Consumers should always look for the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo to ensure the best user experience possible.
- Are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products protected by security?
Yes. All Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products are tested for the latest generation of Wi-Fi security: WPA2™ (Wi-Fi Protected Access® 2). The only way to be sure that a product meets these standards is to purchase only Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products.