Wi-Fi® in 6 GHz will have minimal impact on existing operations

Austin, TX and Washington D.C. – February 12, 2018 – Wi-Fi Alliance® welcomes a new report on the interference impact from nationwide deployment of Wi-Fi® devices in the 6 GHz frequency band. This analysis, performed by RKF Engineering Solutions, LLC, confirms that with appropriate interference mitigation techniques, introduction of Wi‑Fi in the 6 GHz band will have minimal impact on existing radio operations. The highlights of this study include an analysis of potential Wi-Fi interference with respect to the following services:

  • Satellite receivers – interference levels are well below established satellite interference protection criteria and significantly below presently existing levels
  • Fixed microwave links – no degradation in availability or quality of service
  • Mobile or transportable links – unaffected connectivity for 99% of the time while the remaining 1% can be managed with existing operational practices

This report provides further technical evidence in support of regulatory action needed to allow Wi-Fi operations in the 6 GHz band. Wi-Fi Alliance urges regulators to consider this report in their efforts to address the projected Wi-Fi spectrum shortfall.


About Wi-Fi Alliance®
Wi-Fi Alliance® is the worldwide network of companies that brings you Wi-Fi®. Members of our collaboration forum come together from across the Wi-Fi ecosystem with the shared vision to connect everyone and everything, everywhere, while providing the best possible user experience. Since 2000, Wi-Fi Alliance has certified more than 35,000 Wi-Fi products. The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ seal of approval designates products with proven interoperability, backward compatibility, and the highest industry-standard security protections in place. Today, Wi-Fi carries more than half of the internet’s traffic in an ever-expanding variety of applications. Wi-Fi Alliance continues to drive the adoption and evolution of Wi-Fi, which billions of people rely on every day.

Media contacts: 
Stephanie Burke
Highwire PR for Wi-Fi Alliance
+1-646-838-1190 ext. 48