Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6
Capacity, efficiency, and performance for advanced connectivity
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™, the industry certification program based on the IEEE 802.11ax standard, provides the capacity, efficiency, coverage, and performance required by users today in the most demanding Wi-Fi® environments. Emphasizing quality connectivity in locations with hundreds or thousands of connected devices such as stadiums and other public venues, as well as corporate networks utilizing time sensitive, high bandwidth applications, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 networks ensure each connected device performs at an optimum level. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 devices meet the highest standards for security and interoperability, and enable lower battery consumption, making it a solid choice for any environment, including the Internet of Things (IoT).
Key benefits of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 technology include:
- Higher data rates
- Increased capacity
- Performance in environments with many connected devices
- Improved power efficiency
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 provides the foundation for a host of current and emerging uses from streaming ultra high-definition movies, to mission-critical business applications requiring high bandwidth and low latency, to staying connected and productive while traversing large, congested networks in airports and train stations.
Wi-Fi 6E extends Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 into 6 GHz
Wi-Fi operation in the 6 GHz frequency band enables Wi-Fi to continue delivering positive experiences for the most bandwidth-intensive applications. Wi-Fi 6E certification as part of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 offers the features and capabilities of Wi-Fi 6, extended to the 6 GHz band. Several nations around the globe are making the 6 GHz band available for unlicensed use, and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 provides worldwide interoperability certification for devices in these markets.
Wi-Fi 6E can utilize up to 14 additional 80 MHz channels or seven additional superwide 160 MHz channels in 6 GHz for applications such as high-definition video streaming and virtual reality. Wi-Fi 6E devices leverage these wider channels and additional capacity to deliver greater network performance and support more Wi-Fi users at once, even in very dense and congested environments. Wi-Fi 6E will bring greater technology advancements in Wi-Fi that will introduce new use cases, such as unified communications, cloud computing, and telepresence, and accelerate the next generation connectivity with 5G networks.
Innovation and performance in challenging environments
The ubiquity of Wi-Fi and its ability to complement other wireless technologies helps bring the promise of connecting everyone and everything, everywhere, closer to reality. Wi-Fi popularity has also created very diverse and densely populated Wi-Fi conditions, requiring technological advances to meet the needs of users. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 delivers improvements and new features that enable Wi-Fi devices to operate efficiently in the most dense and dynamic connectivity settings.
- Orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA) effectively shares channels to increase network efficiency and lower latency for both uplink and downlink traffic in high demand environments
- Multi-user multiple input, multiple output (multi-user MIMO) allows more downlink data to be transferred at one time, enabling access points (APs) to concurrently handle more devices
- 160 MHz channel utilization capability increases bandwidth to deliver greater performance with low latency
- Target wake time (TWT) significantly improves network efficiency and device battery life, including IoT devices
- 1024 quadrature amplitude modulation mode (1024-QAM) increases throughput for emerging, bandwidth intensive uses by encoding more data in the same amount of spectrum
- Transmit beamforming enables higher data rates at a given range to increase network capacity
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 devices bring enhanced performance to emerging applications such as virtual and augmented reality used in e-Learning, telepresence, and healthcare. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 also provides carriers and public Wi-Fi operators with more capabilities to support advanced connectivity in retail, stadiums, and transportation hubs, including a growing array of location-based applications and services.
Wi-Fi 6E: Expanding Wi-Fi into 6 GHz spectrum
FCC remarks from Ajit Pai, Chairman
What Wi-Fi trends are expected in 2020?
Wi-Fi 6 at CES 2019
|Wi-Fi® global economic value to reach $5 trillion in 2025|
|Wi-Fi Alliance® advances Automated Frequency Coordination system development supporting Wi-Fi 6E ecosystem|
|Wi-Fi 6E in the palm of your hand|
|Wi-Fi Alliance readies 6 GHz Wi-Fi for mass market with Wi-Fi 6E certification program|
|Wi-Fi Alliance Announces Certification for Wi-Fi 6E Now Available|
|Wi-Fi Alliance launches certification for 6E devices|
|Wi-Fi 6E certified products|
|Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 certified products|
- Infographic - Wi-Fi® by the numbers (2021)
- Global Economic Value of Wi-Fi® (2021-2025)
- Economic Value of Wi-Fi® Highlights
- Wi-Fi 6E: Wi-Fi® in the 6 GHz band (2021)
- COVID-19 and the Economic Value of Wi-Fi® (2020)
- Wi-Fi in Education
- Wi-Fi 6 in Healthcare
- Wi-Fi 6E Highlights
- Wi-Fi 6 for Universities
- Wi-Fi 6 in Stadiums
- Wi-Fi 6: Advanced uses for a new era of connectivity (2019)
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™ Features Graphics
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™ Highlights
- Advanced Connectivity Era Highlights
- Next generation Wi-Fi®: The future of connectivity (2018)
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™: A new era in wireless connectivity (2019)
- Generational Wi-Fi® User Guide
- Generational Wi-Fi UI Visuals