Wi-Fi Easy Connect
Simple, secure connection of Wi-Fi® devices
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Easy Connect™ reduces complexity and enhances the user experience of connecting devices to Wi-Fi® networks, while simultaneously incorporating the highest security standards. Configuring devices, including those without a rich user interface, is now as simple as scanning the product QR code to enable use on a Wi-Fi network.
Wi-Fi Easy Connect™ introduces standardized mechanisms to simplify the provisioning and configuration of Wi-Fi devices. Wi-Fi Easy Connect incorporates strong encryption through public key cryptography to ensure networks remain secure as new devices are added.
Wi-Fi Easy Connect technology raises the bar in providing secure network access with unprecedented ease of use.
- Provides a standardized, consistent method for onboarding devices
- Simplifies provisioning through use of QR codes and user-chosen device to manage network access
- Works for any Wi-Fi Easy Connect device, including those with little or no user interface, such as smart home and IoT products
- Uses public key cryptography for secure authentication
- Supports provisioning for WPA2™ and WPA3™ networks
- Enables the replacement of APs without the need to re-enroll all devices to the new AP
Improved user experience in managing Wi-Fi networks
With Wi-Fi Easy Connect, a network owner chooses one device as the central point of configuration. Usually this device is one with a rich user interface, such as a smartphone or tablet, but could be any device capable of scanning a quick response (QR) code and running the protocol developed by Wi-Fi Alliance. The chosen device is considered a configurator and all other devices are enrollees. The user establishes a secure connection to an enrollee device by scanning the device-specific QR code or entering a human-readable string associated with that device. This prompts the protocol to run and automatically provisions the enrollee with the credentials needed to access the network.
Wi-Fi Easy Connect brings simplicity, consistency, and flexibility to Wi-Fi network management.
- Simple and intuitive to use; no lengthy instructions to follow for new device setup
- No need to remember and enter passwords into the device being provisioned
- Works with electronic or printed QR codes, or human-readable strings
|CES 2019: Next generation Wi-Fi® front and center|
|Wi-Fi® delivers the future of connectivity|
|Let’s talk about new wireless security certifications|
- Wi-Fi HaLow™: Wi-Fi® for IoT applications (2020)
- Device Provisioning Protocol DRAFT Specification
- Advanced Connectivity Era Highlights
- Next generation Wi-Fi®: The future of connectivity (2018)
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Easy Connect™ Highlights
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Easy Connect™ Technology Overview (2018)
- Device Provisioning Protocol Specification
- Does the technology work with Wi-Fi EasyMesh, or other multiple access point Wi-Fi systems?
Yes, Wi-Fi Easy Connect can be used to provision clients to establish secure communications with Wi-Fi EasyMesh access points.
- What if a home or office has more than one network?
If the home or office uses a single access point to provide more than one network, Wi-Fi Easy Connect can be used to add one or more networks on the access point. The Wi-Fi Easy Connect protocol would need to be run independently to add each network.
- Can the same device be a configurator for more than one network?
Yes, the configurator software can be implemented on a device to provide provisioning for more than one logical network.
- Is there a limit to how many devices one can configure at a time using Wi-Fi Easy Connect?
There is no limit to the number of devices a configurator may provision for a network, unless the network itself has connection limitations. Additionally, Wi-Fi Easy Connect enables bulk enrollment of Wi-Fi devices.